Saturday, 19 December 2015

The day we bought a kitten

This might sound completely ridiculous, but the day we bought kitten was one of the happiest days of my entire life.
Not only for the obvious reason that he was completely adorable, but because it was the first time I had actually made an impulse decision and 100% knew what I really wanted to do.

Some of you might think that’s a pretty strange but trust me I am literally the biggest yoyo, and by that I mean, I will go back and forth about every decision I make in a day. No matter how big or small.

So yeah - buying a kitten - pretty big deal.

I remember the day like it was yesterday (even though it kind of was). 
It was a Sunday and I had just finished grocery shopping with my mum and little sister. Randomly I thought it would be a really cute idea to stop by the local shelter as it was on our way home. 
I’d been there a couple of times before but wanted to take my sister and let her experience the cuteness for herself.

As soon as we walked in my little sister ran over to look at tabby cats. Mum and I were immediately like 
"Oh no we should not have bought her here!!"
In the cage across from the tabbies I spotted the tiniest, fluffed up kitten sleeping besides his two siblings. 
At the time he looked real chilled and relaxed next to all his crazy brothers and sisters, so I picked him up, cuddled him and basically fell in love!

I think what made me so adamant about it all was plainly because the last three years of my life I have been tearing my hair out stressed, completely overworked, anxious… the list goes on. I have had some really hard emotional moments and I guess I just missed the simple pleasures in life. Things like owning a pet, travelling, taking a nap. Why did I beat myself up so much for enjoying the best parts of life?

The way this little animal made me feel was so good. I felt so incredibly happy and knew that this choice was the best medicine for my soul.

Mum was completely against the idea even though I was already sold on it. I was a grown woman about to get married, if I wanted a cat damn mum I was getting a cat!

When Lai came home from work that afternoon I asked him if we could go back to the shelter to make a joint decision on buying the kitten. 
He was pretty easy going and told me later that he hadn’t seen me feeling this uplifted in ages. 

Late that afternoon we bought the kitten, took him home and the rest is history. 

Mum to this day cannot believe that I actually said yes to myself haha. 
But what I realise is 

If I always try to control every moment of my life, I never really allow amazing possibilities and opportunities to come my way. Sometimes I just have to let go, take a chance and go with the flow. 


Welcome to the family Steve!


















No comments:

Post a Comment